Saturday, August 3, 2013

........our first Guest Blogger!

Introducing Alyson Hennessy.
She's a 7th year teacher
in a Dual Language classroom in New York.
In her 'stand alone model' classroom,
she teaches both English and Spanish.

Welcome to our blog Alyson!
Pull up a cyberchair and tell us your story...

One day one of my students said to me,
"Mrs. Hennessy, I know how 
to say Pennsylvania in Spanish."
I was a little confused because
a) we were not even talking about states.
b) you only slightly change how you say the word.
BUT
I was wondering where she was going with this.

(As we all know, these are the moments in
Kindergarten when another adult
is needed in the room!
They can back up whatever
is about to be said...
otherwise,
people don't believe you!)

I replied, "Okay, how do you say
Pennsylvania in Spanish?"
She answers 
"Lápiz -vania"

(For those non-Spanish speaking readers...
a pencil in Spanish is called a "lápiz.")
 

(Regina:  I couldn't help myself... 
This picture's for you, Alyson!
Having taught Bilingual Education in Texas, 
this story brings back wonderful memories!)

I had to really try hard not to laugh,
because it was so cute and she was
so serious about it.
After I explained that the
"Pennsyl" part of "Pennsylvania"
does not mean the writing tool
even though it sounds like the word,
she moved on to something else.

Of course she moved on to
something else!
Don't they always?
She had no idea that her comment
was so cute that it would stay
with Alyson for years to come.
Gotta love Kindergarten!


*AttaGirl Funnies by Angela Furgal AKA Fairy Funtastic*
If you see this pinned somewhere else...know that you saw it here first!


Thank you Alyson for being
our first Guest Blogger.
We hope you have fun shopping our
TPT stores for $10 worth of our products.


The rest of you are invited to check out
Alyson's TPT store,
She offers both Spanish and English activities
and lots of freebies.

You're also invited to check out her blog
And her Facebook page


Enjoy those last few weeks of summer.
I hear a school bus coming!




 photo fairytalesampFictionsignoff-2.png

3 comments:

Mrs. Hennessy said...

Omg!!! Thanks!!!! =) I am so excited!!!! I love the picture!!!!! =) You both totally made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regina Davis aka Queen Chaos said...

I'm so glad that we helped another teacher smile today! Yay!

Be sure and email us your list of our TPT products that you would like sent to you ($10.00 from either my store, or Angela's store, or a combination of the two). I'll be sure and include the picture I made for you! Thank you for being so generous with your story...I'm sure that it'll make other teachers smile!

--Happy Teaching!

Angela said...

You're quite welcome! Have a good year. :)

Post a Comment